- Your cover letter should be no more than a page.
- Tailor your cover letter to the specific job you want.
- Give an overview of your background.
- State why you want this job.
- Explain why you are qualified for the particular job.
When it comes to the job application process, you always want to go above and beyond your competition. A cover letter is a great way to present yourself in a clear, cohesive manner, and explain items in your resume that may need clarification; (i.e. gaps in your resume, etc). Many times, Recruiters and Hiring Mangers read your cover letter before reading your resume. The cover letter should be your "elevator pitch." Tell them about you without repeating what is in your resume. Consider this your time to shine.